Digital Communications Manager
We are looking for a permanent and full time member of staff to help develop and manage a high level of digital presence for RSTMH around tropical medicine and global health. We need a passionate and creative digital communicator who can play a key role in meeting our communications objectives.
RSTMH is a membership society formed in 1907, with around 1,500 members in over 90 countries. We work to improve tropical medicine and global health by enabling and promoting research, sharing knowledge and convening networks through our members and beyond. The Digital Communications Manager will have the opportunity to develop and enhance the RSTMH’s reputation as a credible and trusted voice in tropical medicine and global health.
This is a wide-ranging and exciting role. You will lead on implementing the organisation’s communications strategy, working with the Chief Executive to ensure it meets the aims of the wider RSTMH strategy. You’ll maintain and further develop the website and social media platforms, and also the content for each of these resources, using internal and externally sourced and commissioned content. You’ll manage relationships with key suppliers, including website developers, digital media and creative agencies. You’ll also be responsible for delivering RSTMH’s newsletters to our members and global network of supporters.
Working with the Chief Executive, you’ll raise the profile and online presence of RSTMH that will also support the achievement of the organisation’s overall strategy and goals. We’re looking for someone ambitious and solutions-focused with a passion for communications to deliver creative and innovative content. You’ll have the ability to engage people in the technical areas of our work as well as the nature of the societal problems and context we’re seeking to improve. You’ll establish analytical systems to monitor our progress.
Summary of the role
- To manage the website and existing, and future, social media channels for RSTMH
- To implement RSTMH’s communications strategy, in line with the wider organisational goals
- To source, write, edit and proof engaging and relevant content for the website and social media channels, providing editorial support as required
- Ensure RSTMH’s brand and editorial guidelines are maintained in all of the Society’s work
- To commission content for the website and digital channels as required, from within our networks, and externally
- To be responsible for online communications with RSTMH’s communities
- To manage, write and edit RSTMH’s newsletter to members and global networks of supporters
- To maintain a communications and content calendar of key moments for the organisation
- To keep on top of relevant tropical medicine and global health developments
- To take a keen interest in the global health challenges we’re addressing in order to help stimulate content and discussion among those involved in addressing these issues
- To propose ways RSTMH can improve its online content in line with digital trends and audience preferences
- To build relationships with peers in tropical medicine and global health, and those involved in tackling these problems - as developers of content and with relevant online media channels
- To be proactive in working with individuals from across RSTMH and our networks to generate diverse, compelling digital content that engages and informs our audiences
- Establish and maintain systems to report and evaluate RSTMH’s digital platforms and activities
- Assist with the promotion and management of RSTMH events, journals and other activities to promote greater understanding of the organisation and its work among members
- Edit and proof all corporate communications, include banners, leaflets, programme, etc.
- Working in international development or global health settings
- At least 5 years’ experience within a digital communication role
- At least 4 years’ experience of professional ownership of websites and social media for a campaign or cause
- Proven experience working in an editorial capacity with a varied portfolio of written work
- Proven experience of website and social media content creation, commissioning and management
- Proven experience of writing and sending newsletters, including using mailing clients, e.g. CiviMail
- Knowledge of Drupal and the ability to take full responsibility for web development
- Experience of managing suppliers
- Experience of creating compelling content
- Experience of design software and designing graphics for the web and social media
- Highly organised, with ability to self-plan and prioritise workloads
- Experience using CRM databases
- Ability to communicate technical details to non-technical people
- An up to date knowledge and understanding of existing and emerging topics in global health and the impact of these on improving lives
- An understanding of current and emerging web technologies and social media trends
- A solid understanding of storytelling and how to create a compelling digital campaign
- Significant experience of developing and delivering digital communications projects
- Excellent oral, copywriting and communication skills
- Highly developed interpersonal skills including, communication, influencing and collaboration
- Ability to understand how digital communication works alongside traditional PR and marketing campaigns
- Effective decision-making skills
- An understanding of the academic and research communities
- An understanding of elements of digital advertising, for example paid for social media adverts
- Self-starter, able to work proactively
- Passion for tropical medicine and global health
- A good communicator of technical applications and concepts
- Ability to think ahead - anticipate and solve problems before they arise
- High degree of integrity and professional credibility
- Good team player, with an understanding of the challenges of working in a small team
- Resilience under pressure
- Flexibility to work outside of office hours, and to travel within the UK and beyond, as required
- Ability to communicate with a range of people of different levels, disciplines and backgrounds
How to apply
Apply for this role by completing the form here by 17:00 BST on 13 October 2021.
We may review applications as and when they come in, and may close the process early if successful, so would urge early applications.