Submit your photos to Photovoice at HSR2018
The Global Symposium on Health Systems Research invites you to submit Photovoice applications.
RSTMH is proud to be sponsoring the Photovoice exhibit.
Successful Photovoice submissions will be displayed in a photographic exhibition and discussion forum during the HSR2018 symposium in Liverpool, UK which will take place from 8 -12 October, 2018.
Photovoice at HSR2018 will be a platform for critical dialogue and learning throughout the symposium, as we advance health systems with the vision of ‘Health for All’ in the SDG era, and universal coverage.
The Photovoice exhibit will be displayed in the conference hall throughout the Symposium. In addition, a digital display is planned to be held in Museum of Liverpool at the nearby Pier Head, enabling members of the public, as well as HSR2018 delegates, to interact with the Symposium themes, images and widening critical discussions. Plans are also afoot to display printed images in the atrium of The Open Eye Gallery opposite the Museum of Liverpool.
Thoughtful and respectful Photovoice projects allow for the voices of those who are marginalised and most in need to be heard, such as those whose health care is insufficient due to conflict, migration or faltering aid.
This Photovoice exhibition will stimulate conversations surrounding emotive and impactful photographic images, which can illuminate barriers to health systems, health equity and social inclusion, providing insight and reflection of communities’ needs.
Photos should be in line with at least one of the four sub-themes of HSR2018:
- The SDGs as a stimulus for renewed multisectoral action
- Polemic and pragmatism: engaging the private sector in moving towards universal health coverage
- Leaving no one behind: health systems that deliver for all
- Community health systems – where community needs are located, but often the invisible level of health systems.
To submit your Photovoice application, please fill in the submission form.
The following information is required:
- An overview of your Photovoice project: its aims, participants and the process involved. This should also involve discussion of the ethical consent process, how consent was sought, and the ethical clearance received for the project. (400 words)
- Submission of photos (a maximum of 5 per project): each photo should have a title, with the photographer acknowledged and a brief description of 50 words. Photos should be in JPEG format, must be 20 megabytes or smaller, 300 DPI and must be at least 40cm wide (if a horizontal image) or 40cm tall (if a vertical image).
- A summary of the learning generated through the photos and how this links to the HSR2018 conference themes. (500 words)
Please send your completed submission form, along with your photos and your project’s ethical permission (with an example of a blank consent form completed by participants) to HSR2018 [at] ljmu [dot] ac [dot] uk. The deadline for submissions is 1 June 2018.
Submissions will undergo an ethical review process, and submissions which meet this will be reviewed by a panel of health systems researchers.
A number of entries across the four Symposium sub-themes will be selected.
Applicants will be notified of the results by 21 July 2018.
In addition to displaying the successful Photovoice entries at HSR2018 and the Museum of Liverpool, accepted submissions will be displayed on the HSR2018 website and delegates and the public will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite photograph. The four top photos will be made available for HSR2018 delegates to keep.